Alchemy SL: Eternal Legacies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Family Ties

3 posters

Go down

Family Ties Empty Family Ties

Post  Colby Shaw Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:46 pm

Characters: The Shaws
When: A few weeks before the families move to Azoth Manor
Where: Palo Alto California, Shaw Family Manner
Summary: After a hurricane journey from the U.K. and across the U.S. Colby arrives at the Shaw Family Manor, to try and right all the crazy things that have seemed to be taking place since the death of his father.

Lets start then, shall we? Its been a wild dance. A hellacious trip across America, that Colby Miller, wished with all his heart, had been just flown. That he had used the considerable funds, his...his Queen be damned by this one, Father, had left him.

But driving was supposed to be good for the soul, even if the sodding lot, that lingered across that vast and great continental United States, were hardly the most responsible and polite drivers in the world. But each stop, each stop...had been a journey into the strange. Had been a reminder of all the little lessons. All the thousand details that made up his everyday existence.

Papa, had told him...had cautioned him, that the safety of their lives was never to be taken for granted. That danger lurked around every street corner, waiting...needing, and wanting eagerly to bring harm upon him. That the magic they bore, might even make them magnets for the supernatural. Which was why, it needed to be kept a tightly guarded secret.

And well, Colby wasn't positive that the fortunes of his family, weren't born from their ability to wield magic, he wasn't disinclined to bring greater trouble to himself. Even if it was there, lingering...like a veritable bomb-shell dropped everywhere. Take for instance, that the man who had been his ward for the last ten years, who claimed only to be his father's father...well... according to his ever loving mother, well...that man was truly his father.

The loss, felt like another in a continuous series, that...might have taken the cheer and good-will from his bones, had he not the pleasure of gambling. Better yet, the ability to ever-so-slightly abuse his powers along that sojourn of his. The Shaper was good at that, and perhaps that was what truly kept his spirits lifted. Or perhaps, it was the idea, that just over the next bend...he'd be a step closer to meeting more people like him. That there were people who, who had magic at their finger-tips.

Family.

After Papa died...after Colby's horrific visit with his mother... well... everything seemed to throw itself upside down. Everything seemed abstract. It felt had felt like he was a lone. So alone, that the night-time sky seemed to mock him with the million glittering lights. The idea that Palo Alto, had family... had people that might welcome him with open arms well...

That was why he was here. Grey-hoodie tugged tightly over his body. Blue jeans snug to long legs. Colby was a rather lanky fellow, and looked better fit for a computer desk than he ever would a battle-field... brown hair was trimmed short and spiked with just the right amount of bees wax. Sapphire hues studded that lean and proud-jawed visage... a smile worked its way across his features, lopsided and upbeat.

Single button pressed and the alarm set itself for the yellow car, striped black down the middle. An American model of course, holding a little symbol of a ram on its squared grill. Digits carefully laced together, as he knocked upon the wooden frame. Head tilting back to better inspect the Shaw's Manor..... only to offer that same wide-mouthed grin to whomever opened the door...

" 'Lo Mate! Lookin' rioght quick for old chaps of my dad yeah..." English accent held in full. His tenure in the United Kingdom. Long-limbed arm rose quickly enough so that he could scratch at the top of what was his hair...before extending it in a polite hand-shake.

"Colby... is what I go by, ya know..from friends and those who care to use my name... I'm...yeah..well...see...I'm family."
Colby Shaw
Colby Shaw
Arcane-Touched
Arcane-Touched

Domain : Transmutation
Family Ties Transmutation2

Back to top Go down

Family Ties Empty Re: Family Ties

Post  Gideon Shaw Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:41 am

The halls of Shaw manor would seem quieter than usual. No old records played from the library, and there was no piano playing coming from the living room. A heavy silence seemed to sit upon the house ever since the elder Shaw's abrupt departure. Gideon had taken up residence again at his family's estate to keep an ear close to the ground in case anything changed with the whereabouts of the heads of each magical family and perhaps to investigate his father's belongings for any sign of where he might have gone off to with his mother. What was once the happiest place for a young boy to grow up in now seemed to be hollow in a way.

For the time being Gideon rested in his father's study. He recalled back from his childhood the hours Izaak would spend in this room going over god knows what in his mind. Every so often he'd even go so far as to seal the doors of the study for privacy, literally closing the wooden doors into a fourth wall to keep out the prying eyes of unwanted guests. Shaw manor was very unique in this capacity. The home, built by the bare hands of transmuters appeared at a first glance as a normal large house for the well off family that the Shaws were, but closer inspection would reveal the secrets of its unique architecture. The manor was built from very few individual materials. The stone work all seemed to be one massive rock custom carved to create the appearance of brick and cobblestone. Wood doors became walls, and even the furniture seemed to be crafted from the very same pieces. Within their own home, the transmuters were capable of shaping a great deal more than usual within their environment.

Gideon's eyes grew weary peering over useless documents that dealt with the business of the family company. He was thankful he had Liam around to look over things while his parents were missing. He always was the brother with the head for business, Gideon only hoped it didn't go to his head where ever he was. Finally tossing aside the last paper he rubbed his eyes and let out a small sigh of annoyance at the current predicament. Nevertheless he resolved to do more in the coming days. He had taken a little bit of time off from the hospital to deal with the current situation, and while that was coming to a close he'd still be around to help with the search.

The knock at the door echoed through the halls finally shattering the silence of Shaw manor, Gideon paused at the sound and could only offer it a raised brow. Who the hell would be coming to the manor at a time like this. He quickly fixed the white V-neck shirt that hung across his shoulders and made sure his blue jeans had one less wrinkle in them as he crossed the foyer to the front door. Once opened he couldn't help but offer up a bewildered stare at the lanky man before him. His voice was like nails on a chalkboard compared to the quiet that suddenly vanished from the manor. Gideon could only offer a half vacant stare and handshake with Colby as he introduced himself.

Gideon of course remembered Colby, Uncle Elijah's adopted son. At least that was the story Elijah had told the family. Adopted and raised by his mother an old flame finally taken in at around age thirteen to travel as father and son. Uncle Elijah had always been an enigmatic man. Gideon could remember the tense situations that seemed to brew when him and his father were together, though Elijah was a loving uncle at times, Gideon couldn't help but feel that he was disingenuous at other moments. Once Colby officially moved in with Elijah, Gideon saw even less of his uncle and certainly none of Colby at all since the kidnapping of all the arcanists' children all those years ago.

"Colby what are you doing here?" Gideon started still trying to remember if this man was who he said he was, he couldn't even be sure if the two lanky people were the same. "I mean. . . its nice to see you, but. . . now isn't the best of times. . . " Gideon never really knew what Colby as an adopted member of the family knew of their magical roots, and he wasn't going to be the one to introduce him to everything, certainly not now with this entire mess going on. Gideon could only beat himself up for a moment for answering the door, if only Liam was faster on his feet, if the damn kid was even in the manor to begin with, and in a sudden moment of insight Gideon paused and dropped all other thoughts from his mind before turning to his distant cousin.

"Wait. . . When did you get a British accent?"
Gideon Shaw
Gideon Shaw
Head Arcanist
Head Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Family Ties Empty Almost 1 in the morning..

Post  Liam Shaw Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:10 am

While desperately trying to rub the bleariness from his eyes, he could barely focus enough to read the blurred, and swimming clock across the small trailer office. He had decided earlier that evening to bury his nose in blueprints and purchase recipes. Yes, there was an assistant that seemed rather offended that he would take the tasks they usually handled away. But, this was a time where some distraction was not only necessary -but welcome. His sight cleared and his hands rested back on the poorly lit table. One hand absently fluttered across the unorganized computer screen, while the other moved unconsciously to the single cigarette that had rolled under the corner of his phone.

He wasn’t sure if it was the draw of an addiction he had kicked quite some time ago? Or, could it have been the flashing red indicator at the corner of his phone. He had always rather despised such small “advancements” in cell technology. He was well aware that there were voice messages and business outside of his current situation that needed dealing with. But it was already almost one in the morning. There wasn’t anything he could do tonight.

Back straightening, those broad shoulders rolling as his fingers wrapped around the cigarette, tapped it twice on the desk and he stood up. Finger’s ran through that short hair, Steel blue eyes closed, his phone swept off the table and keys unhooked from his hip.

Slow steps carried him to the door, and as the light was snuffed with the flick of a finger… He almost dreaded returning to those hallowed halls. They felt so dark now. There was a lot of pressure on his older brother.. It was still something they needed to talk about. But he had found himself spending many a late night avoiding the conversation.

The click of the deadbolt and a few dusty steps and he was sitting in the inviting environment of his truck again. He drove quite a bit. He voluntarily bounced from site to sight almost micro-managing the good people that had worked for the family for years. It wasn’t meant to be overbearing. It was merely one of his coping mechanisms. He had always had a hard time trying to express those types of things. Overcompensate. Yeah. That was a great plan. Maybe it was time for the conversation.
Liam Shaw
Liam Shaw
Arcane-Touched
Arcane-Touched

Back to top Go down

Family Ties Empty Oi

Post  Colby Shaw Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:49 pm

-: Colby roiled with a touch of nervousness that hung through his bones, and festered in his stomach. An edge of the fear of the unknown. These were people he had only heard about in passing. Had met perhaps only the outer-most edge of the family. The rest was Papa Eli's stories, lessons and tight-lipped confessions.

This of course, all combined for a perfect storm, that had that lanky young man, almost twitching with the growing energy. So perhaps it was a bit of a shock at seeing Gideon. He only remembered the older man, through the haze of his mind. They hadn't really met since he was five. And that..well that was a foggy nightmare that had seemed to bring the whirlwind into his existence. But Christmas Cards and photographs allowed that picture to come into focus.

His stomach curled all the tighter as Gideon spoke, hardly giving him time to respond, before he was telling him that it wasn't the best of time. Did the magic in their veins allow them to know when another family member had died? Colby's heart sank... and he was about to respond, just as Gideon began to ask about his English accent.... which of course... helped the Shaper find some footing. Helped return that lopsided and gracious smile across his lips.

A hearty chuckle preceded his ever-cheerful tone, "Oi! Well met to you too cousin...I'd venture to guess, the accent took root after being amongst the Brits for the better part of ten years..." A year-long world wind trip with Papa Eli, had ended in London, with Eli and his wife Grace deciding that was where the young man would grow up. Blue eyes shifted to look past Gideon, into the mansion, before allowing his head to bow.

A few light brown waves of hair coming loose to fall into his face. "You are all too correct though, it is not the best of times... Elijah..." Colby's thoughts stopped for a moment, circled inward, as he tried to decide whether or not to reveal that Elijah had really been his father? When his mother had dropped that bomb-shell, the Transmuter hadn't been very happy. In fact, he had nearly been as angry as he had ever been. "Was killed..."

No, there would be no telling him now. There could be no telling him right this second. "I...I just didn't know where else to go, Papa Eli told me that I should come here before he died..." And what a gruesome scene that had been. Colby's brows knitted together, and it was easy to see the young man was thinking.. "It was shadowkind.." Revealing of course that Colby at the very least knew about the magic occurrences in the family.. "I don't think they followed me, but... I could be wrong..."

Fingers hooked into his pockets, head tilted ever so slightly. Obviously, he wouldn't have minded going inside, but he wasn't going to be so rude as to invite himself in. If Gideon chose, that now was indeed a bad time to turn away Eli's "adopted" son, then he'd follow inside. And if he was told to come back later, well then... Colby really wouldn't have much else choice but to...
Colby Shaw
Colby Shaw
Arcane-Touched
Arcane-Touched

Back to top Go down

Post  Gideon Shaw Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:40 am

Gideon's immediate apprehension has subsided slightly, but still he couldn't say he was thrilled to see his long lost cousin. Colby had been a scrawny boy of no more than five last time he saw him. The only information he knew about the boy came from what his father learned from his uncle Elijah. Uncle Elijah wasn't exactly the most reliable resource, especially when it came to his own life, from what Gideon understood.

Gideon did his best to force a quick polite smile to his cousin's story. He had to admit he didn't expect that he'd have an internationally sounding relative, but that was neither here nor there for the matter. Gideon's mind now coursed with thoughts on how to best alleviate the situation of Colby's arrival. He was never sure of the intensions of his uncle, and could only make a passing guess that the apple didn't drop terribly far from the tree.

Colby seemed to have something else on his mind however. His eyes drifted off toward the inner sanctum of the manor were only a hint to the struggle of words he had to spill out. And then the news spilled out and Gideon felt the emotional apprehension within him evaporate just as quickly as it had formed. This wasn't some nefarious plot to over throw his father's claim to the head of family, but simply a son who lost his father seeking out the only family he seemed to have left. Gideon let his head hang and heaved a deep sigh that he held for about ten seconds as he digested the news of his lost uncle. Gideon by no means disliked his uncle. As a curious young boy, Gideon had always enjoyed uncle Elijah's visits, certainly much more than uncle Alexander who never seemed to entertain his nephews with incredible magical feats.

"Colby. . . I'm" He paused hanging the door open. He immediately realized how rude he was stepping aside to allow his cousin entry into the manor. "I'm sorry about your father." While Gideon didn't know the blood ties between Colby and Elijah, any son losing a father was heartbreak enough. "Uncle Elijah was my favorite. . ." He tried to make it seem as if he truly knew the man to justify the idea of giving condolence.

Of course the real news came from the source of Colby's problems. . . shadowkind. Gideon's mind went wild at the mention. This seemed too hard to believe was coincidence. Something was terribly wrong in the world, and the others had to be made aware. If anything Alexis would know something, though there was still no way he would ask her directly, Will or Gavin would have to do that for him. "I'm terribly sorry Colby." At least Colby knew about magic that much didn't have to remain hidden and it was one less headache for Gideon to worry about.

"It would be unlikely for anything to follow you this far without attempting something. You'll be safe here though, we're well protected from the outside here." His tone was quiet, almost wounded he didn't know how to deal with a new found cousin mourning his own father. "Liam isn't around, but i'll pass along the news when he gets back. We've had some of our own issues to work out. . . nothing to worry about yourself. . . is there something I can get you?" He said closing the door behind Colby as he ventured into the manor.

Gideon Shaw
Gideon Shaw
Head Arcanist
Head Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Colby Shaw Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:32 pm

-:The weight from his shoulders, lifted ever so slightly, when Gideon was kind enough to offer his condolences. When the older cousin, sincerely seemed to feel remorse over the loss, and even at the somewhat stalled attempt at offering up some solemn truth about Elijah...

Not an easy task, Colby knew this well, even as his grandson, or son or whatever Elijah had truly looked upon him as, the younger Shaper knew his father was somewhat tight-lipped about personal matters. Beyond that, Eli had cautioned him with tales of things that might take him down. Not just physical things, but things that might have at one time or another led to friction between brothers. Might have led Colby down the wrong path of life.

And granted, Colby hardly kept his hands clean, he gambled like no ones business, how many times that little roll of a die might have led to an awful brutal thrashing, was nearly countless. But it certainly would have been worse had Elijah not been in his life.

As Gideon stepped aside to welcome him in, Colby moved inward, unable to control the way his hands rolled over his forehead to push back brown tendrils that bounced into his countenance. Blue eyes unable to focus on anything in particular, and so settled for the tiles. For counting, for getting his mind off of all things. "I believe it's alright, I have had the entire trip to settle myself..."

And even if that trip had been a roller-coast of magic, mayhem and a little mischief, it had helped. It had helped give him breathing room. The Englishman cast a frown, that swallowed away that face, that undoubtedly looked more comfortable with a grin or smile. The mention that the creatures wouldn't have waited to attack him, is what had brought that frown to the fore-front. Was what prompted him to follow up slowly with... "Well... they have... I've run into several shadowkind in my travels..."

Both arms dangled uselessly by his sides, he felt lost for words. Lost for thoughts, and once again trying to struggle with the idea that here they were supposed to be one-hundred percent safe..." I'm sorry cousin, for dropping all this onto your lap... I just, I didn't know what else to do...you said this wasn't the best of times, and surely I've not helped...but, perhaps I could..."

Because feeling useful now, would be something of a blessing.
Colby Shaw
Colby Shaw
Arcane-Touched
Arcane-Touched

Back to top Go down

Post  Gideon Shaw Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:20 am

"I wouldn't worry about them now Colby. Shadowkind don't come so close to the manor. We have a long standing relationship with the surrounding woods and forests. They guard the manor well; you're safe here for the time being." Gideon attempted to assure his surprise guest as he made his way across the foyer of the manor. While a reunion with family was often seen as a positive event even in the midst of personal tragedy, Gideon couldn't help but feel an additional burden having to deal with the news of his uncle's untimely demise and his cousin poking around the manor. While Gideon did not have the same reservations about Uncle Elijah that his father did, it was nearly impossible to ignore the stories and signs of tension among the ranks. If only Elijah had been more like Uncle Alex quieter and more reserved when it came to the family hierarchy.

Gideon moved beyond the foyer hopefully pulling Colby in tow. He didn't watch his cousin so closely to at least give him the comfort of not having any lingering eyes on him for the moment. "Don't apologize Colby, none of us asked for this to happen. . . and you certainly of all people I'm sure have been struggling. Its a good thing you came I suppose, if Shadowkind have recently discovered you and your dad and are pursuing you this was a safe choice. . . you're at least safe among family I suppose." Gideon turned to offer an authoritative nod to his cousin hoping to at least give him the comfort of the family's protection.

Gideon would continue to carry himself into the kitchen. He could use the break to rest his eyes. Looking over his father's old documents and manuscripts had been a taxing process and all the more annoying when they did not yield any results. "I appreciate the offer Colby, but I think this is best handled by Liam and myself. Its nothing personal, just we're more experienced with these sorts of trouble. . . but you're welcome to spend sometime here and lay low for a bit. There are guest rooms for you to pick out and settle in for a little bit. It might not be awful to have someone else here. We've been spending more and more time in the manor so it seems to be at least fortuitous that you came when you did."

Moving himself to the fridge to fetch himself a drink he'd turn back to his cousin. "Can I get you something to drink or eat?"
Gideon Shaw
Gideon Shaw
Head Arcanist
Head Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Colby Shaw Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:42 pm

-: Perhaps Gideon was right, and the younger man should just have forgotten about it. Shadowkind didn't come close to the manor? Well then, they should be safe. Blues drifted casually across the landscape he had allowed himself to get swept up into. This was all coming so fast so hard, and well... as they began to start deeper into the mansion, Colby Miller found himself wondering why that dreaded sense of foreboding didn't wither.

Or why that nagging feeling that he was little more of a bother to his new-found cousins, didn't seem to shake itself loose. Arms crossed over his lean chest as they entered the kitchen, using a nearby counter-top for support as Gideon moved about, and denied his offer of help...which, caught him at the edge of surprise...

"I didn't come running in fear... I... I'm not useless, I can handle myself... "Pushing off of the counter, he tried to make his wiry frame seem larger. Colby wasn't much of a fighter in his own book, but he could take a hellvua beating. "Eli... he taught me how to use my magic..." Was that a revelation? After all, Colby -had- been amongst the other kidnapped children back in '94. Was it a surprise that he had atleast some magic? "I can help... If you're going to let me stay, even for a little while... I insist cousin, that I help carry my fair share of the weight..."

Was this any different than his own father might have been with Isaac? Desperately trying to prove his own worth? Trying hard not to be a fuck up? Well, perhaps... but for the Shaper, it was a great many things... one, he didn't want to feel useless, two...he definitely didn't want to seem like he had just come out here to be a free-loader. Not for an hour, not for a day.

At the offer of a drink, Colby nodded his head softly..."Water please..."
Colby Shaw
Colby Shaw
Arcane-Touched
Arcane-Touched

Back to top Go down

Post  Gideon Shaw Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:57 pm

"Its not a matter of your courage or cowardice Colby. . . no one is saying anything like that these family matters are just more complicated than I think you'd understand." He was modestly surprised that his cousin would be taking so much offense to the denial. Colby had no magical aptitude as far as he knew and to even guide him into things would just be a distraction from the task at hand. Gideon leaned back carefully against the counter feeling the weight of Colby's arrival building until the next few words flew from his cousin's mouth.

When Colby mentioned his magical aptitude the headache Gideon had felt subsided and immediately he paid no heed to any of the issues he had been tackling earlier in the day. His body became rigid along the counter and his eye brow perked up as twin crystal blue eyes focused in on his scrawny cousin. Magic? Colby had magic? Those thoughts filled him now and he had to clarify, he had to understand why his adopted cousin had magic.

"Excuse me?" He made no effort to collect a glass of water for his cousin. He simply fixed his gaze along Colby. Was this some kind of trick? What was he doing here? Was Elijah even dead? Did they have something going on and were responsible for his parents disappearance? Unlikely, he had learned that a similar fate had met all of the magical families, but all of a sudden the sneaky underhanded family history was creeping up and Gideon had to deal with it himself.

"Your magic Colby? Forgive me, but I was always under the impression that your father adopted you. . . that you're for lack of better word normal."

It didn't matter that he was offering help, this was a serious issue. It had always been the duty of the head of the family to train the young transmuters as they grew up, and if Elijah did something to upset that order then it seemed his father's stories about his uncle had not been false.
Gideon Shaw
Gideon Shaw
Head Arcanist
Head Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Colby Shaw Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:17 pm

-:Words spoken, cannot be taken back. And immediately Colby felt a weight settle in on his chest. Like he had let the cat out of the bag. Had completely and totally blind-sided his cousin. For him, it had always been an understanding that -everyone- had some magic. They just didn't know how to use it, or have enough aptitude to truly reach the stores of mana necessary to use a spell.

Apparently that had been yet another lie Elijah had told him. Brows knitted together, and Colby's head dropped to the side, so that he could offer up a simple lopsided smile that seemed to hint at a devilish thought. "Well dear cousin... my understanding was slightly different than your own.."

He paused, trying to decide what he should reveal. They were family. And well Gideon's thoughts were on whether this was treachery, Colby's thoughts were on whether this was something he could really share. After all, it had been his life's lessons to hold secrets... and what shame there might be in the name of Elijah if the world knew?

Well fuck it! They were family. Perhaps the only family Colby might ever have. "I was raised believing Elijah was my father's father..." That lopsided smile shifted easily into a deep set frown. "Recently my mother revealed to me that Elijah was my dad."
Colby Shaw
Colby Shaw
Arcane-Touched
Arcane-Touched

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down